As of today, MLB playoff schedule shows the game between the Tampa Bay Rays (Seed 4) and the Houston Astros (Seed 5) from the AL. This playoff game kicks off on October 3rd.
The MLB postseason starts earlier this year, beginning on October 1st, a Sunday, two days before the regular season concludes. The Wild Card games are set for October 3rd.
With the season’s midpoint nearing, teams are eagerly working to secure their places in the playoffs, eyeing a spot in the World Series.
Currently, Baltimore Orioles lead the American League, while Atlanta Braves are at the top in the National League.
Looking ahead, based on the MLB playoff schedule and current standings as of 5th September, 2023, the Atlanta Braves (No. 1 seed) are likely to play against the victor of the game between the Philadelphia Phillies and Chicago Cubs.
MLB Playoff Schedule 2023
The MLB playoffs bracket as of today is based on the standings in both the American and National League. Right now, the Baltimore Orioles lead in the American League, while the Atlanta Braves are ahead in the National League.
The 2023 MLB playoff bracket for both the American League and National League is outlined below:
- On 3rd October, Tuesday:
- Match between Seed (4) and Seed (5).
- Match between Seed (3) and Seed (6).
- In the American League: AL Seed (1) Vs Winner of (Seed (4) versus Seed (5)) match.
- AL Seed (2) Vs Winner of (Seed (3) Vs Seed (6))match.
- There will be a subsequent game between:
- AL Seed (1) Vs Winner of (Seed (4) Vs Seed (5)) match.
- AL Seed (2) Vs Winner of (Seed (3) Vs Seed (6)) match.
- The final match will be between the winner of the American League playoff Vs the winner of the National League playoff. The exact date for these matches is yet to be determined.
As of 5th September 2023, based on the current MLB standings, the following outlines the expected 2023 MLB playoff schedules between potential contending teams:
American League (AL):
- Game1: Baltimore Orioles (No.1) Vs the Winner from the (Tampa Bay Rays and Houston Astros match-up (Seeds 4 and 5)).
- Currently, Baltimore Orioles holds the top position in the American League seedings.
- This position grants them an initial pass in the AL Wild Card series, positioning them directly into the AL Divisional Round against the winner of the Seed 4 and Seed 5 game.
- Game 2: Seattle Mariners (No.2) Vs the Winner from the (Minnesota Guardians and Texas Rangers match (Seeds 3 and 6)).
- Seattle Mariners are second in the American League seedings.
- Like the top seed, they too will bypass the initial round of playoffs and proceed to the AL Divisional Round to compete with the winner of the Seed 3 vs Seed 6 match.
- Game 3: Winners of Game 1 and Game 2 go head-to-head.
National League (NL):
- Game 1: Atlanta Braves (No.1) Vs Winner of the (Philadelphia Phillies Vs Chicago Cubs (Seeds 4 and 5)).
- The Atlanta Braves lead in the standings. After their first-round bye, they will compete against the team that wins between Seeds 4 and 5 in the AL Divisional Series.
- Game 2: Los Angeles Dodgers (No.2) Vs Winner of the ( Milwaukee Brewers Vs Arizona Diamondbacks match (Seeds 3 and 6)).
- The Los Angeles Dodgers hold the 2nd position in the National League. Maintaining this position ensures they get a first-round bye, and they will then play against the winner of the match between Seeds 3 and 6.
- Game 3: Winners of Game 1 and Game 2 go head-to-head.
Final Game: Winner of AL Vs Winner of NL(Game 3).
As of 5th September 2023, the standings for the playoff spots in the National League are:
Playoff Picture in NL:
- NL No. 1 seed – Atlanta Braves
- NL No. 2 seed – Los Angeles Dodgers
- NL No. 3 seed – Milwaukee Brewers
- NL No. 4 seed – Philadelphia Phillies
- NL No. 5 seed – Chicago Cubs
- NL No. 6 seed – Arizona Diamondbacks
As of 5th September 2023, the standings for the playoff spots in the American League are:
Playoff Picture in AL:
- AL No. 1 seed – Baltimore Orioles
- AL No. 2 seed – Seattle Mariners
- AL No. 3 seed – Minnesota Twins
- AL No. 4 seed –Tampa Bay Rays
- AL No. 5 seed – Houston Astros
- AL No. 6 seed – Texas Rangers
MLB Wild Card Playoffs 2023
In the 2023 MLB Playoffs Wild Card, teams compete in a three-game series based on their rankings.
Currently, In the AL the Baltimore Orioles, Seattle Mariners, and Minnesota Twins are at the top of the wild card standings. They’re followed by the Tampa Bay Rays, Houston Astros, and Texas Rangers.
Over in the National League, the Atlanta Braves, Los Angeles Dodgers, and Milwaukee Brewers hold the leading positions in the wild card list.
MLB Playoff Wild Card Format
In the MLB wild card playoff:
- The 4th-Seed (1st Wild Card) will host the 5th-Seed (2nd Wild Card).
- The 3rd-Seed will host the one in the 6th-Seed.
- Matches will follow a best-of-three format.
The playoff timetable for the Wild Card teams in both the American League and the National League has been released and are as follows:
AL Playoff Wild Card Format
- Match: Seed (4) Vs Seed (5); date and time to be decided.
- On Tuesday, October 3rd: Seed (4) Vs Seed (5).
- On Wednesday, October 4th: Seed (4) Vs Seed (5).
- On Thursday, October 5th: Seed (4) Vs Seed (5), only if required.
- Match: Seed (3) Vs Seed (6); date and time to be decided.
- On Tuesday, October 3rd: Seed (3) Vs Seed (6).
- On Wednesday, October 4th: Seed (3) Vs Seed (6).
- On Thursday, October 5th: Seed (3) Vs Seed (6), but this is conditional and will be held only if required
In the American League, the Baltimore Orioles, Toronto Blue Jays, and Houston Astros are the top three teams. The Orioles are leading, having a win-loss record of 85-51.
the Tampa Bay Rays, Texas Rangers, Toronto Blue Jays, Houston Astros, Boston Red Sox and Seattle Mariners are fighting for AL Wild Card spots.
As of 5th September 2023, the following teams are the leading wild card teams in the American League:
NL Playoff Wild Card Format
Match: Seed (4) Vs Seed (5):
- Match on Tuesday, October 3rd: Seed (4) competes against Seed (5).
- Game on Wednesday, October 4th: Seed (4) is up against Seed (5).
- Possible match on Thursday, October 5th: Seed (4) might play against Seed (5), depending on previous results.
Match: Seed (3) Vs Seed (6):
- Tuesday, October 3rd: Seed (3) Vs Seed (6).
- Wednesday, October 4th: Seed (3) Vs Seed (6).
- Thursday, October 5th: Seed (3) Vs Seed (6), only if required.
Based on MLB playoff standings as of today, the Philadelphia Phillies lead the National League wild card teams with a record of 76 wins and 61 losses, boasting a +5.5 differential.
The Chicago Cubs and Arizona Diamondbacks come next, with records of 74-64 and 71-67 respectively.
Teams Eliminated From MLB Playoffs
As of today,the Oakland Athletics, Kansas City Royals, and Colorado Rockies are eliminated from the MLB playoffs.
Each of these three teams ranks at the bottom of their respective league tables. The Oakland Athletics have a record of 43 wins and 97 losses, while Kansas City has managed 44 wins against 97 losses in the AL.